Monday, October 15, 2007

What NAU?

_____


What is scheduled for tomorrow?

I ask this question in two ways. Specifically, I want to know about Tuesday, October 16, 2007. Generally, I'm curious about what our cryptocracy has planned for the near future...

Tomorrow happens to be the 5th anniversary of the signing into law of the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002. It also happens to be the 45th anniversary of the beginning of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Does the date itself mean anything? Maybe not, but there's this thing going on in Oregon and elsewhere this week called 'Vigilant Shield'...

It has people worried. It looks to many as though this exercise, at the very least, is about preparedness for martial law. Some are even convinced that a 'dirty bomb' will be detonated in Portland. There is a general consensus that a war against Iran (and possibly Syria) is imminent.


Related to these concerns is the possible formation of a North American Union. Now, I'm all about unity, and on the surface I don't have a problem with becoming part of the NAU (though I'd bet Ameros to donuts that if I were Canadian, I would oppose it). The trouble with it is the question of how it will be run, and by whom.

With our Constitution already in tatters, how much worse can it get?


We certainly hope that by the time all the various multinational unions are merged into one Global Union, the People of Earth will have overcome the forces of cryptocracy. Or, perhaps that will happen shortly thereafter. I still believe in the vision of global freedom from oligarchy; Conversely, I still think we have a long and bumpy road ahead of us.



Phil Smith
October 15, 2007



PS Will the GU flag be a combination of the 'Official Earth Flag' and the EU flag, with the appropriate number of stars? What do you suppose a NAU flag will look like? How long will it be before everyone flies Jim Cadle's Flag of Earth instead?





_____

No comments: